Purrs'n'Whiskers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purrs'n'Whiskers - The Cat Lovers' Guide To The Feline Universe

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  WebsiteWebsite  

What is the Best temperature for cats?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Honeysuckle
Honeysuckle
Puss'n'Boots
Puss'n'Boots

What is the Best temperature for cats? Vide
PostSubject: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? EmptyWed 19 Oct 2011, 10:07

I have recently bought an outside electric heat pad for Wolfie's shelter. It is thermostatically controlled and I was wondering if anyone knows what the best temperature is for a cat? The temperature goes from 25 degrees to 55 degrees.

What is the Best temperature for cats? Img_4813

Janice x
Back to top Go down
gemini
gemini

PostSubject: Re: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? EmptyWed 19 Oct 2011, 10:41

That heat pad is brilliant Honeysuckle. I haven't seen one with a temperature guage on it before. We got a heat pad when we had a foster mum and kittens when the weather was cold but she hated it and kept moving the kittens off it. The temperature isn't controllable so not sure what it is set at. Perhaps it was too hot for her.

I don't know what the ideal temperature is. But one of the reviewers on Amazon says that 30 degrees is perfect for her cat, so that could be a starting point. It might be a matter of trial and error.
Back to top Go down
Flower Girl
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? EmptyWed 19 Oct 2011, 11:50

Hmmm that's a tough one. The straw is already insulating so with the addition of the heated pad that makes it a bit harder to gauge I would think.

How about setting it at 25 to start then, when the weather turns very cold (snow, ice etc), turn it up in increments?

I don't know, but that's just a guess.
Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk
hamster
hamster
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? EmptyWed 19 Oct 2011, 17:30

I would agree to try it low. It may be that Wolfie is so used to the cooler temperatures and if you do it too high he'll find it too uncomfortable. Am just thinking 25 seems a nice temperature for a human so should, hopefully, suit Wolfie.
Back to top Go down
Honeysuckle
Honeysuckle
Puss'n'Boots
Puss'n'Boots

PostSubject: Re: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? EmptyWed 19 Oct 2011, 18:36

Yes, I think I'll try 25 degrees. The heat feels to me like the lowest setting on an electric blanket. I have a timer as well so if it's going to be mild in the day I can just have it switched on at night. The good thing is that there two compartments so if it does feel too warm for him then he can move around. William got me a thermostat last year that I have placed inside the shelter and you can read the temperature from the outside so I can monitor how hot it is. Hopefully, we can get the electrician round at the weekend to fix a socket and put conduit round the wires. Hopefully having the heatpad permanently inside will be cosier for him and more convenient for me. William was also talking about getting some sort of web cam thing so we can check up on him from inside.
Back to top Go down
mrsmarple
mrsmarple
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? EmptyWed 19 Oct 2011, 21:32

Awesome heating pad. He's going to love it. Your right he can always move around and still get the warm coming from it.
Back to top Go down
Honeysuckle
Honeysuckle
Puss'n'Boots
Puss'n'Boots

PostSubject: Re: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? EmptySun 23 Oct 2011, 21:19

We had the electrician round on Saturday and Wolfie's shelter now has his heat pad installed. I set it at the lowest temperature of 25 degrees and covered it with a cat blanket and loads more straw. I think it was a success as there was a lovely deep bowl shape in the straw and when Wolfie came out for his breakfast his fur was lovely and warm. I am only going to leave it on for a few hours this evening just to take the chill off before we all go to bed as it is very mild. I think he seems to like it as it must have taken him a while to create the deep impression in the straw - while the corridor'porch area straw looked un-slept in. The shelter is sturdy with a double layer of wood but I may have to insulate a bit when it becomes very cold.

Janice x
Back to top Go down
mrsmarple
mrsmarple
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? EmptySun 23 Oct 2011, 21:44

Yippee that's great. Awww on the impression in the warm straw. Bet he's loving it.

Well done Janice. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Flower Girl
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? EmptyMon 24 Oct 2011, 10:19

Yay! Your shelter is a huge success! What is the Best temperature for cats? 393826 That's going to be one very snug and warm pussy cat this winter!
Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the Best temperature for cats?   What is the Best temperature for cats? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the Best temperature for cats?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Purrs'n'Whiskers :: Cat Chat :: Cat Care -