Purrs'n'Whiskers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purrs'n'Whiskers - The Cat Lovers' Guide To The Feline Universe

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  WebsiteWebsite  

Fireworks and Pets - Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Flower Girl
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

Fireworks and Pets - Advice Vide
PostSubject: Fireworks and Pets - Advice   Fireworks and Pets - Advice EmptyFri 28 Oct 2011, 23:33

The makers of Feliway have issued a PDF packed full of advice on how to see your pets through the firework season.

You can download the Fireworks Leaflet here: http://www.secrettohappypets.com/fireworks/

Here's a summary though of the key points:

Three top tips for fireworks

1. Provide a den or hiding place where your pet can feel safe.

2. Increase the feeling of security by plugging in an Adaptil or Feliway Diffuser as close to the den or hiding place as possible.

3. Ignore fearful behaviour, such as panting, shaking and whining. Dogs may pick up on their owners’ anxiety which could make the problem worse.

Further advice

• In the run up to fireworks night walk your dog when it is still light outside. This reduces the possibility of fireworks being let off and your dog becoming worried.

• Make sure all windows, doors and cat flaps are securely closed during fireworks night. This will reduce the chances of your pets escaping.

• Provide extra litter trays for cats. Litter trays will be used more as your cat is confined to the house.

• Provide distractions, in the form of new toys and chews, during periods when fireworks are occurring. Draw curtains and put the TV on to mask the noise of fireworks being let off.

• DO NOT punish your pet! This will only make your pet more distressed.

• Try not to leave your pets alone when fireworks are going off. Your pet may hurt themselves during this time.
Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk
Flower Girl
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fireworks and Pets - Advice   Fireworks and Pets - Advice EmptyFri 28 Oct 2011, 23:36

This year I'm going to put cat size carboard boxes around the house as Lily likes to hide in one when it's fireworks season, and Daisy too. I'll also leave out one of the 'closed in' cat carriers I have so they can hide in there too.

Do any of our members have any further suggestions that aren't included in the Feliway advice? Do you have any special rituals that you carry out to make your cats feel safe?
Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk
gemini
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Fireworks and Pets - Advice   Fireworks and Pets - Advice EmptySat 29 Oct 2011, 09:04

I make sure the cats are in early on bonfire night, close all the curtains in the house and also put radios on in every room where there is one to try to drown out the sounds of the fireworks.

Thankfully bonfire night is a Saturday this year so we should only have one really bad night. It's awful when its mid week because you get fireworks from the weekend before to the weekend after eek!
Back to top Go down
hamster
hamster
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Fireworks and Pets - Advice   Fireworks and Pets - Advice EmptySat 29 Oct 2011, 10:33

I am dreading coping by myself. We live across the railway line from a public display which is going to be held on Friday night. There's a public display a mile away with the scouts on the Saturday night which is far enough away but there are the ordinary house ones on Saturday night. I bet someone will be letting some off on Sunday as well!!

Back to top Go down
Honeysuckle
Honeysuckle
Puss'n'Boots
Puss'n'Boots

PostSubject: Re: Fireworks and Pets - Advice   Fireworks and Pets - Advice EmptySat 29 Oct 2011, 15:56

We normally have the telly on with speakers to drown out any noise and act normally and try not to coddle Lyra so that she doesn't think anything is the matter. Having treats as well distracts her. Last year she did look out the front window for a bit so I don't think she was overly stressed. I'm not sure about Wolfie though. I think he is slightly deaf in one ear so he may not notice too much. I have a tarpaulin and space blanket on top of his shelter and I might pull these down over the windows so he can't see flashes. I did think of getting some Zyklene for him but slightly concerned that this may dull his senses too much which is not so good if he is outside, in case of dogs, so I think I'll just make sure his shelter is secure, darkened and discrete.

Janice x

Back to top Go down
Yorkshirerose
Yorkshirerose
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Fireworks and Pets - Advice   Fireworks and Pets - Advice EmptySat 29 Oct 2011, 17:47

they are all great ideas thank you.

I have the opposite problem in our house because monsters like watching fireworks. Especially Jerry who clucks at them!
Back to top Go down
hamster
hamster
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Fireworks and Pets - Advice   Fireworks and Pets - Advice EmptySat 29 Oct 2011, 20:37

Forgot to say that I am hoping to get Specs into her bedroom under the stairs and pull the thick piece down on the bed side. I'll also put the curtain across on the door to the porch and then with the doors all closed she will, hopefully, be safe and not get too upset or too scared.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fireworks and Pets - Advice   Fireworks and Pets - Advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Fireworks and Pets - Advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Purrs'n'Whiskers :: Cat Chat :: Cat Care -