Purrs'n'Whiskers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purrs'n'Whiskers - The Cat Lovers' Guide To The Feline Universe

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  WebsiteWebsite  

Share and Share Alike

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin
Flower Girl

Share and Share Alike Empty
PostShare and Share Alike

I'm at my desk today, so much to catch up on, and I have my usual glass of water beside my monitor, ready to sip at any time.

However, I am horrified to see that Poppy is helping herself to my glass of mineral water! Increduously, she's on seconds - as I type these very words - she's lapping my much cherished bottled water!!!

This is worrying as I always keep a glass of water at my bedside every night... perish the thought that this might be a nightly feline occurrence, too!

Coincidentally, I've suddenly lost my thirst. Share and Share Alike Icon_pale

Funny that, eh?
Share and Share Alike Deeblo10

Last edited by Flower Girl on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 23:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk
Share this post on: reddit

Share and Share Alike :: Comments

gemini
Re: Share and Share Alike
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 13:18 by gemini
A couple of my cats do this too. I don't usually buy bottled water though, so it's just tap water.

Funnily enough I almost never catch them drinking water from their bowl!!! Share and Share Alike 328498
Flower Girl
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 13:56 by Flower Girl
LOL I suspect this may have been going on for some time and I've only just witnessed it! From now on, I'll use only tall glasses and make sure it's not full to the top!

The Flower Girls are totally spoiled - they have their own indoor water fountain and they have bowls of water dotted over the house. Now that want mine too!

Lily has FLUTD so we installed the cat water fountain years ago and Daisy and Poppy like using it too. It's been pumping away 24-7 since November 2004! It certainly encourages them to drink, and now I've found a new way aka my bottled water!
gemini
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:04 by gemini
Flower Girl wrote:
LOL I suspect this may have been going on for some time and I've only just witnessed it! From now on, I'll use only tall glasses and make sure it's not full to the top!

The Flower Girls are totally spoiled - they have their own indoor water fountain and they have bowls of water dotted over the house. Now that want mine too!

Lily has FLUTD so we installed the cat water fountain years ago and Daisy and Poppy like using it too. It's been pumping away 24-7 since November 2004! It certainly encourages them to drink, and now I've found a new way aka my bottled water!

A water fountain is something we have considered buying but haven't got round to yet.

Perhaps we will get one as a Xmas present for the cats. Which make did you get Flower Girl?
Flower Girl
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:20 by Flower Girl
Some people's cats don't get on with the fountains, but mine love theirs.

I bought the Pet Mate Fresh Flow Fountain from my vet. They weren't widely available at that time (2004), although you can now buy them much cheaper online.

It's funny because each cat drinks from a different area of the fountain. Poppy likes to drink from the top of the fountain, Lily from the pool at the bottom - right at the front, and Daisy drinks from the pool at the bottom but further back.

Poppy was a naughty kitten though as she kept pulling at the filter with her sharp kitten claws and tried to pull the filter out - which is impossible lol - but as she grew older, she stopped this.

Last edited by Flower Girl on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:21; edited 1 time in total
hamster
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:20 by hamster
Wonder if she ever catches you drinking from her bowl Share and Share Alike 124461 ?

Seriously, we were told we had to keep the water bowls really full as cats hate stretching down into the bowl to drink!
Flower Girl
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:22 by Flower Girl
That's a good idea, Hamster. They also like drinking out of different receptacles too... as I've now discovered lol.
gemini
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 14:40 by gemini
As I said, I rarely catch mine drinking from the bowl. However, they ALL (even Meg when she goes in the garden) like drinking the horrible green water from the pond!
Flower Girl
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 17:27 by Flower Girl
Share and Share Alike 314971 Yet if you put dirty water in front of them, they'd spurn it! Share and Share Alike 138814
hamster
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 17:48 by hamster
Haven't seen Specs doing it but our previous cats would ignore the bowl of clean water by the door and lap the water out of the hand "dent" bits on the manhole cover.
Yorkshirerose
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 20:36 by Yorkshirerose
Share and Share Alike 124461 Share and Share Alike 124461 aww bless her. she obvious wanted to share with you.

Jerry will drink anything that is wet. He was lapping up my orange squash the other day (although was making a funny face).
Flower Girl
Post Mon 02 Nov 2009, 22:24 by Flower Girl
Orange juice, eh? I've not heard of cats drinking that one! Awww Jerry sounds like a real character lol.
mrsmarple
Post Tue 03 Nov 2009, 07:33 by mrsmarple
Don't know if anyone else has heard of this, but I'm sure my aunt told me that cats don't like their water bowl to be next to the food bowls. I put the water bowl across the room from the food bowls and they drink from that. I have always wanted to get a fountain, so a Christmas presents for the girlies for sure.

I remember years ago when Charlotte was still with us, we had gone out for the day and left a bowl of dry cereal (honey shreddies) on the kitchen counter. When we came back I stared to nibble on them only to see Charlotte later on jump up and finish them off. Thought they tasted funny Share and Share Alike 84165
Flower Girl
Post Tue 03 Nov 2009, 09:05 by Flower Girl
Yes Mrsmarple, I read that too in Vicky Halls' books. I keep the water fountain well away from the food bowls.

Funny you should mention that about Charlotte. We once went out and accidentally left some very strong chillie out and all the cats were locked in. When we came back, all the crisps had gone! I have no idea which one had eaten them, except Oz was drinking a lot that day lol.
mrsmarple
Post Tue 03 Nov 2009, 16:59 by mrsmarple
your lucky they didn't have diahorrea Share and Share Alike 124461
Flower Girl
Post Tue 03 Nov 2009, 17:29 by Flower Girl
Share and Share Alike 314971

Btw I meant chillie crisps, not actual chillies. They were so hot that I couldn't eat them!
Whiskers
Post Sat 07 Nov 2009, 10:05 by Whiskers
Share and Share Alike 314971 Never once have I caught my cats drinking water from our glasses. Once, I was eating my rice cereal with milk in, and came back from the toilet, prince was lapping up the cereal!

I wish I could get a pet mate water fountain, but they don't seem to sell them in AUS, I don't think it would make it in time for Xmas.

-Whiskers
Post  by Sponsored content

Share and Share Alike

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Purrs'n'Whiskers :: Members' Blogs :: A day in the lives of the Flower Girls-
Jump to: