Purrs'n'Whiskers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purrs'n'Whiskers - The Cat Lovers' Guide To The Feline Universe

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  WebsiteWebsite  

Crows Nest

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin
Flower Girl

Crows Nest Empty
PostCrows Nest

This has been an eventful week for the Flower Girls.

(We'll quickly skim over Wednesday, when the girls had their annual visit to the vet for their booster vaccinations - see previous post from last year - nothing changes!)

However, their outdoor garden world this week has been interesting...

Crows Nest 726162 Daisy stood up to Charlie, the big ginger cat from next door, for the first time and was the bravest we've seen her act. She was successful in her defence of her territory and Charlie cat beat a hasty retreat and scurried along the fence to escape the hissing, growling Daisy.

One of the cat perches (small shelves attached to the back fence which the girls use regularly to scale the 6 foot fence) was snapped off during the night. We don't know who the culprit was, but judging by his girth, Charlie cat seems a likely candidate. I can just imagine his poor little face when the platform gave way under his amply padded posterior and he plummeted into the flower bed!

The most peculiar thing about this week is the fact that 2 crows have decided to build a nest in one of the trees at the bottom of the garden - in full view of 3 cats!!! They must be incredibly (a) brave, (b) tough or (c) stupid lol.

It's been interesting to watch. They snap off bits of twigs from the trees a few metres away, then do a circular flying motion into the fields beyond, and then do a 365 degree turn to swoop in and land in the tree. Sometimes the twigs are so long, they can't actually get near the nest and then spend the next 5 minutes trying to manoeuvre the twigs into place. Crows Nest 124461

Lily is now an avid fan of these crows and seems to spend a fair amount of time squatting on the ground underneath the tree. She obviously has a very short memory... only last year, when she was climbing up said 'nest-less' tree, she was attacked by swooping squawking crows, who'd also enlisted the help of their magpie mates to deter Lily and peck her out of the tree!
Somehow, I don't think it's the crows who are at risk! Crows Nest 32231
Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk
Share this post on: reddit

Crows Nest :: Comments

mrsmarple
Re: Crows Nest
Post Mon 08 Mar 2010, 16:54 by mrsmarple
What a cute update Flower Girl. Can just see Daisy defending her territory.

We have lots of the swooping birds in our garden and the girls crouch and wait, but they only ever get voles.

Hope the crows don't regret their choice of abode. Crows Nest 84165
Flower Girl
Post Mon 08 Mar 2010, 17:21 by Flower Girl
Thanks marsmarple.

The thing is, we've been planning to fell that tree for ages and I don't have the heart to do it now the crows are busily building their nest.

Poppy managed to catch a fledgling once and she also bought in through the catflap a live bird some time ago. The bird was quite small though, and hid underneath the washing machine so we had to pull everything out to rescue it and when we did... the bird was sat behind us, watching us give ourselves hernias moving stuff around lol.
gemini
Post Mon 08 Mar 2010, 19:55 by gemini
I remember a long time ago walking my dog and she found a baby magpie on the ground and the parents kept dive bombing her and pecking her till she left it alone!!
hamster
Post Wed 10 Mar 2010, 11:57 by hamster
I have this lovely picture of Lily sitting there - hoping Crows Nest 124461 . Isn't she ever the recipient of a "blessing" from the birds?
Flower Girl
Post Wed 10 Mar 2010, 17:01 by Flower Girl
Lol she sits there for hours, Hamster. Crows Nest 84165
hamster
Post Wed 10 Mar 2010, 21:12 by hamster
one white cat Crows Nest 84165
Caz
Post Thu 11 Mar 2010, 07:50 by Caz
Flower Girl wrote:
She obviously has a very short memory... only last year, when she was climbing up said 'nest-less' tree, she was attacked by swooping squawking crows, who'd also enlisted the help of their magpie mates to deter Lily and peck her out of the tree!
Crows Nest 32231

How brave is Lily - I would of thought that this 'attack' would make her steer well clear of the crows yes
Yorkshirerose
Post Thu 11 Mar 2010, 13:49 by Yorkshirerose
Aww hiow cute i can just imagine them now.

Sounds like it is a week for big scary ginger cats, Monsters have taken a disliking to one too lol.

Them crows wil have shock if they return one day to find a cat in there nest.
Flower Girl
Post Fri 12 Mar 2010, 17:39 by Flower Girl
Yep, it's been a week for ginger toms and birds for sure lol. Another ginger tom with the most gorgeous markings was rolling in some left over catnip near the bench yesterday, much to the girls' disgust.

Today, there's been well over a hundred seagulls out the back as the farmer is ploughing the fields and they follow the tractor in huge flocks and then swoop down to pick up the tasty worms unearthed. Poppy was most unimpressed with all the commotion!
gemini
Post Mon 15 Mar 2010, 11:02 by gemini
I want to buy some catnip seeds. Didn't see any in the local garden centre when I called in last week. Might have a look on Thompson and Morgan website.
Post  by Sponsored content

Crows Nest

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Purrs'n'Whiskers :: Members' Blogs :: A day in the lives of the Flower Girls-
Jump to: