Purrs'n'Whiskers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purrs'n'Whiskers - The Cat Lovers' Guide To The Feline Universe

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  WebsiteWebsite  

Slug Bait and Your Pets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Flower Girl
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

Slug Bait and Your Pets Vide
PostSubject: Slug Bait and Your Pets   Slug Bait and Your Pets EmptyTue 21 Aug 2012, 22:37

Ask the Vet: slug bait advice

Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk
Flower Girl
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Slug Bait and Your Pets   Slug Bait and Your Pets EmptyTue 21 Aug 2012, 22:40

We don't use snail and slug bait as we have a healthy population of toads and frogs resident in our garden. There's always loads of empty snail shells lying around after they've been on a feast. I've also seen birds pick up a snail and smash it on our garden wall for the tasty treat inside.

It definitely pays to attract wildlife in your garden.
Back to top Go down
hamster
hamster
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Slug Bait and Your Pets   Slug Bait and Your Pets EmptyWed 22 Aug 2012, 11:43

We put some on the pots when we planted out the bean plants but put wooden sticks over the top to prevent any wildlife/cats getting at them. Then virtually every day I go out on a snail/slug hunt and any that I find get put in a container (empty tablet bottles, empty spreadable butter containers, empty jam jars, etc) and then put in the bin.

We used to throw the snails over the railway embankment at the end of the road. They never seemed to get less and then I read that snails have a homing instinct and, one day, we put a blob of tippex on the shells before throwing them ..... at least one came back!

Our bin lorries travel about 20 miles to the tip so if the containers get damaged and the snails get out let them try and find their way home from there!!!!
Back to top Go down
Flower Girl
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Slug Bait and Your Pets   Slug Bait and Your Pets EmptyWed 22 Aug 2012, 16:19

The trouble will slug bait is that it not only poisons the snails/slugs but also those predators that feed off them.

I've heard about the 'homing instinct' Hamster, I think it was on a gardening programme some time ago. I fling them over the fence too lol but on to the river embankment behind our garden. I'd never toss them over in my neighbours garden - just wanted to clarify that lol.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slug Bait and Your Pets   Slug Bait and Your Pets Empty

Back to top Go down

Slug Bait and Your Pets

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Purrs'n'Whiskers :: Cat Chat :: Cat Care -